Shhh, I'm Reading!

I've been catching up on my reading the past few weeks, and I have one I loved, one I didn't and one I can't decide whether to read or not.


I absolutely loved "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society". I had been eyeing this book for awhile wondering about that weird title, once I started reading I didn't want to stop. The story is told in letters, which at first I was skeptical about (I had just finished the next book which was in interview form and wanted a plain ol' narrative) but it flows seamlessly and the voice of the writers comes clearly through their letters. It was reminiscent of other book loves; Anne of Green Gables, and the Mitford series by Jan Karon because of the quirky characters that come alive through great writing. I found myself wanting to move to the isle of Guernsey and get to know these folks. The history of WW II is a bonus, with so many stories. I didn't know about the German occupation of this small island and the hardships the people had to face. I'm sad that the author Mary Anne Shaffer passed away last year and so we won't be able to enjoy any more of her stories.

Now "The Witch of Portobello" is a different story. I tried to like it and stayed with it till the end when I really wanted to quit (I'm loyal like that).
I felt like this was just a vehicle for the author's weird beliefs, he was preaching about his spiritualism and he didn't make me care about his characters at all. They were flat and I didn't care about them or the plot, if you could call it that.
I've had "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" on my shelf for the longest time and now I'm not sure if I want to wade into this one. I've read some reviews on Goodreads and most are not favorable~~so do I want to spend my precious time reading 562 pages of maybe? Have any of you read this one or heard about it? If so, let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular Posts