Prayers For Sale


Funny that I should pick a book about friendship. Our new Relief Society President told me the other day that I look like "everyone's best friend", I wanted to cry and tell her "I don't have any friends here". But instead I just smiled and said "Oh that's nice". Maybe that's why I identify with the characters in this novel by Sandra Dallas, (one of my favorite authors).
Friendship, quilting, depression era history, and long-held secrets combine together to make this a great read.
Hennie has lived through the Civil War and the Great Depression~can you imagine the things that came to pass in her lifetime? From horse and buggy to cars, airplanes, running water, electricity. Just the changes in fashion are mind boggling! Hoop skirts to short skirts
Hennie takes a newly wedded Nit under her wing and they develop a bond of friendship that comforts them both.
I loved the references to quilting, cooking and the stories of the mining days of Colorado. It reminded me of Sumpter OR, with the gold dredge.
What I like about it most is the message that we all have hurts and events in our past that haunt us, but by sharing our hearts with others we can find comfort and help others do the same.

Comments

  1. Rebecca...just keep smiling that beautiful smile of yours and you'll have more friends than you know what to do with! You are such a gentle soul...I miss you!

    I looked for this book today, but it was already checked out. There was another by the same author...so I grabbed that! Thanks so much for sharing.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecca: So many memories, so much laughter! I went to Clatskanie today to get Jodie's car unlocked and thought of you and how easy it used to be to make a quick trip. Remember when? I'll be going to the Home Depot this weekend and will look for a washing machine that gets the clothes really dry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts