On the road again

Our Baker City days are coming to a close, we should be outta here this weekend or early next week. You never know with the Fed's, it's kind of like being in the military--they change their minds and "things" happen--kind of like a fickle woman!
We've really enjoyed our time here, with a couple of side trips. One up to Sumpter to see the train and the dredge and then we drove through the Elkhorns down to Haines and home again. The trees were just beginning to change and the Tamaracks are so bright golden. Last weekend we took a antiquing trip through Baker, La Grande and Pendleton. So many antiques!! I love to wander through the old stores, especially the ones that haven't been messed with for a long time--everything brings back memories--that's how old we are!! We're always saying "I remember that, or I use to have one of those" that's how you know that you are older than dirt! We had an awesome dinner at Hamley's Steak House in Pendleton, I love the history of these towns; gold, ranching, pioneers, rodeos, cowboys. We are going back this saturday for an underground tour of Pendleton--I'm excited!
We then drove up to Hell's Canyon and over the Eagle Caps to Wallowa Lake, Oregon's little Switzerland. So beautiful with the changing leaves and a little snow on top. We stopped in Joseph for some dinner at the local pizza pub and while I ws washing my hands in the rest room my ring (wedding band) just slipped off my finger and down the drain it went before I could catch it! Of course it was an old crusty sink with no stopper or catch in the bottom--the owner had to come in and a man that was eating dinner there helped her to undo the trap and luckily my ring was still in there! It was a tense moment until I saw it!
We have been trying to eat at all the yummy places around town, one of our fav's is the Geiser Grand Hotel pasta night--so yummy and enough for 4 people! The Geiser is known to be haunted, but we haven't seen anything fishy while we've been there--but of course I haven't been down to the dungeon where the rest rooms are--I had a scary experience there once! They are having a special tour through the hotel on Halloween night, you are accompianed by Ghost Hunters! that ought to be spooky!

Comments

  1. Don't you just love Joseph and the Wallowas? My son is the deputy sheriff for the town - it could have been him who found your ring, but... anyway, do you know anyone thinking of moving to Joseph? Here is a fun website video about the area: http://snipurl.com/4100g

    Enjoy your time there.

    Carol
    www.roadtripdream.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey good thing you found the ring. the boys are ready to see grandma and grandpa. I put some pic form halloween on my blog and I'll put some up on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I miss you! It was SO GREAT having you come and stay with us! But it made me realize that abssence only makes the heart grow fonder and I really wish you lived closer! We should come and visit you guys sometime soon. Jeff and I have talked a LOT about how much fun we had the night you guys stayed over here! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday today, Rebecca!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts