In Remembrance

Near Vicksburg
14 June 1863
Mr. John Cassiday
Montezuma, Iowa
Dear Sir,
After some delay I proceed to write to you in reference to the death of your son B.F. Cassiday who was killed in the late battle of Champion Hill-the sad and mournful news of which you are doubtful heard ere this. While it pains me sorely to give you this sad intelligence, there is one thing that consoles me-that is that he fell doing his duty-yes, he stood unflinchingly at his post until the last. He fell at the late hour of the battle. Was near me all the time during the hottest of the fight. At last I missed him after the battle was over, Sgt. Sheely found him lying to the right and in the advance, pierced through his breast by a musket ball. At one time during the fight we were compelled to fall back, he expressed his regret to me that he had to give way. It is unnecessary for me to speak to you of his worth; he was a faithful, brave, and gallant soldier, always willing to bear his part and perform his duty under every circumstance. He has left the entire company and all those of his acquaintance in the Regiment to mourn the loss of a brave comrade and fellow soldier.
He is the second one of your family who has fallen in the Army of his country. William R. Cassiday who was in my company and died of a disease at Milliken Bend was a faithful soldier who was willing to sacrifice the society of a kind family and any friends at home and go forth in defense of his country, has filled his mission here and gone where his troubles are all over-their places in our ranks are vacant and their obedience to orders and willingness to execute them in camp and in the field shall have a place in our memories while life shall last.
Would to God that this war was over and that peace once more reigned over a free country.
But the more I see my fellow soldiers fall around me the more I feel it my duty to stand by my country's flag. Which I expect to do until treason and traitors have been put down and the emblem of liberty (the Stars and Stripes) blow in triumph over this entire Republic.
We have Vicksburg entirely surrounded, our flag waves within 200 yards of theirs and will doubtless at any early date be in our possession.
Very Respectfully
J.W. Carr
Capt. Comdg
Co., D 28th Inf
Regs. Iowa Inf.
* John Cassiday is my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather. This letter has always touched my heart and saddens me to think of thoe families that lost loved ones during the Civil War. I give my thanks today and always for those who serve so we can continue to have our freedoms.
P.S. the picture is not connected to the letter-just one I found on the internet :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts