A Little Square

I've been thinking about changing my blog name for awhile now, but couldn't find anything that fit, then while I was reading a very inspirational talk by Julie B. Beck* it came to me in a story she told "Not long ago, I was given a little afghan by a friend of mine. It was made by her mother, who is in her late 90's, Alba Gardner. This afghan is made up of a number of smaller squares. My friend said her mother told her, "I'm too old to do anything for anyone." She used to make afghans, but she said that it's too much of a project now. She said, "Well then, Mother, just make a little square." So Alba started with one little square, and then she made another little square. Little by little, her daughter pieced them together for her. Then she could give something to the humanitarian center. She has made many gifts like this for others in need by taking care of one square at a time and having someone help her piece them together. "

This story hit me like electricity. It's so simple but so profound and works in many different areas of my life. I gave a lesson once about journal keeping and connected it with quilts~how our lives are little pieces of our experiences here and there all sewn together like a quilt, a journal is a life quilt in progress. This story reminds me of that~how each little square adds up to a finished project-good or bad-so take care in the making of each little square-it counts.

When a task seems insurmountable, break it down into little squares and one at a time it gets done. I think of this when I'm faced with my weight loss journey and when it gets overwhelming I repeat "one little square". Or if I think what I'm contributing to a certain cause is not much, repeat..."one little square". Like the daughter in this story, there is always someone to help me piece them together, friends, family, and sometimes complete strangers can say or do something to help me put my pieces together!

This is how I think of my life~little squares all bound together with love~the perfect name for the blog that hopefully represents the many different things that make up my quilt of life!

*I can't get the link to work so you'll have to do it the old fashioned way: You can find the entire talk at lds.org. Go to "Serving in the church, then Relief Society, then BYU Women's Conference.

Comments

  1. thanks for not getting rid of your blog. I enjoy reading it. . . in fact, you need to write more often! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca - I love Julie's talk so much I printed it out and taped it to my kitchen cupboards. 5 pages, 5 cupboard doors. My favorite part was how she described important times of the day. I knew exactly what she meant by swing shift and knew I could improve. I love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts